10 common Signs of Infidelity
When it comes to your partner cheating, I don't believe there are any definitive
clues. He/she could be working late, or he/she could be cheating late. They may
be dressing up for you -- or ???. That's what makes this type of thing so confusing
and hurtful. When you trust your spouse, you trust his explanations. But there are
always certain things that get our antennae up. They don't seem to change much
over the years, though with the advent of technology, those little hints now seem
to involve a lot more cellphones and social media and a lot less lipstick on the
collar. Here are 10 classic signs your guy (or your woman) might be cheating.
1. He or She starts dressing better or spending time at the gym. This is still a sign
you should look out for. Did he suddenly morph from flannel and dirty boots to
smart suits and shiny loafers? I'd add in wearing cologne all of a sudden, or
changing the cologne he always wears to something new. Could be a sign the
mistress gave him a bottle that she likes better.
2. Guarding the cellphone. This is one I've heard a lot in my girlfriend circles -- he
suddenly starts sleeping with the cellphone by his bedside, or bringing it into the
shower with him. He may turn it off when you're together and say he doesn't want
to be disturbed while he's with you -- but he really doesn't want to risk her texting or
calling while you're there. If he won't even let you touch his phone.
3. Password protecting everything. In this day and age, it's prudent to password
protect your phone, but it can also be a sign if he suddenly starts doing it when he
never cared before. Or he refuses to give you the password.
4. He takes out new credit cards in his name. This is a sign that he's spending
money on the new flame -- especially if the bills go to another address or he has
them delivered online only.
5. He begins making hurtful remarks about you. Picking fights all of a sudden is a
classic ploy -- this way if he ever gets caught, he can blame it on you and say you
two were always fighting!
6. He begins to drop a female name into his conversations. I've heard this one
before, that a guy having an affair will start bringing up a certain woman all of the
time. Apparently it gives him an adrenaline rush to feel like he can talk about her
and get away with it.
I'd also add avoiding talking about a certain woman -- say he starts working on a
project with a woman but he NEVER mentions her. That's weird if he's spending a
lot of time with her.
7. Talking about how "ugly" or "horrible" a certain woman is. This is one I've seen
a few times -- a guy tries to cover up his attraction to a certain woman by slagging
her off every chance he gets.
8. He suggests separate holidays. According to Stowe, this is a clear sign he wants
you out of town.
9. Doesn't want sex. He may not reject you, but he'll go along with your rejections
where he may have previously fought them. Now it's like, "Sure, let's watch a
movie instead. Noooo problem."
10. Social media. I'm simply amazed at how many men forget that their wife or
girlfriend is on their Facebook and yet they will flirt or even "check in" with
another woman also on his Facebook. Must think women are blind!
While these are fairly "classic" signs, I've also seen and experienced the complete
opposite. I know one husband who was doing basically all of the above -- but after
much investigating, his wife couldn't find any evidence of him having an affair.
And I've been in a situation where a guy was doing none of the above -- but was.
Ernest Ryan Investigators, LLC
Owner and Licensed Private
We are here to serve you in a
professional manner. Feel free to
contact via phone or email to
discuss your situation in private.